Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mother's Day

Okay, so I know Mother's Day was last week, but being a busy mother of two I often find it hard to make the time to sit down and collect my thoughts. When I finally do sit down, all I feel like doing is melting into the couch and letting my brain go numb...I know I can't be the only mother who feels this way. 

This was my first Mother's Day as a mommy of two. It's so hard to believe that Ben is almost three, and that Sam is crawling, pulling himself up, and feeding himself (there will no spoon feeding for this little guy...he has made that VERY clear)! 

I look back on pictures of myself after I had Ben...I was tired, but amazingly fresh faced looking. Now, almost three years later, the wrinkles are a bit more obvious, those stray grey hairs are poking through, and even the best puffy eye reducer cannot erase the evidence of Sam's 5am wake-up calls. My body has changed...oh, how it has changed. Gravity is cruel, and those stretch marks....hopefully will fade over time. 

There are the days when the whining makes me want to put myself in a time-out and spend some quiet time in my bedroom with Petey, he doesn't need much...just a lap to sit on. *sigh*

BUT, they do grow fast, and I don't want to miss a minute of it. The stretch marks are just a reminder to me of what my body spent nine months doing. Gravity, well, I suppose I could use that gym membership a bit more often, and there's always botox for my wrinkles, right?

Being a mother is a gift. I would not change one thing. I feel so lucky to wake up everyday to my two perfect little beings. Not everyday runs smoothly, but everyday I learn something new, about myself, about being a better person, a better mom, a better wife, a better friend. Ben and Sam teach me about patience, about looking at the world from a fresh canvas...and about trains...I've learned more about trains than I ever thought I could want to know....

-- 
Dara Schwartz
Sent with Sparrow

Posted via email from Dara's Ditties

No comments: